Merla M. Marcelo RN, BSN, PCCN
PNAVA President 2009-2010
Theme: Committed To Make A Difference Through Involvement and Passion.
Graduate: San Pedro Hospital School of Nursing, Philippines : Graduate Nurse
Far Eastern University, Philippines : Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing
Certification: Progressive Care Certified Nurse
Retired Registered Nurse, 35 years service affiliated with Sentara Health System
Clinical Nurse 2 in Medical Stepdown Unit
PNAVA Treasurer 2011-2016
Notable Achievements related to PNAVA
- PNA Virginia Chapter lobbied the elimination of CGFNS, a requirement in State of Virginia for NCLEX, Virginia State BOARD approved September 2010
- PNAVA initiated the first mandatory tax E-Filing 990-N postcard as a 501C-3, either PNAVA have a $25K gross receipt or less for the year. Website “ irs.gov “
- The Dina C. Estaris Nursing Scholarship Award was established to encourage and provide financial support to student pursuing a degree in nursing at the senior, under post graduate, master and doctoral level. This is an honor to late and beloved friend and member of PNAVA Dina C. Estaris. This is being sponsored by “ The Travel Outlet “.
This is in addition to current PNAVA Scholarship Award annually.
- PNAVA membership ( 175) peaked highest so far since inception during term of Presidency 2009-2010.
- PNAVA impacted the inception of PNA Richmond as sub-chapter, was formally organized and the first set of officers were Inaugurated and Inducted January 2009. PNAVA continue to work and coordinate with PNA-Richmond until they eventually became independent and official Chapter member of Philippine Nurses Association of America “PNAA “ in 2010.
As PNA Virginia President I was overwhelmed with mixed emotions of gratitude, pride and humility. Gratitude for all the opportunities afforded me with this great organization for two years. Pride, for being able to represent our professional organization in an excellent level to the community and to the nursing profession. And humility for the lessons learned, challenges and services to the community. My journey as president not only shaped and made me a stronger person but I realized my full potential as a leader. PNAVA goals and mission was achieved. I can say and proud that working with a pool of supportive, committed team members brought a productive and positive two years. God Bless.
Community & Civic Affiliation and Involvements
Council Of United Filipino Organization of Tidewater, Inc.(CUFOT)
Secretary to CUFOT BOARD 2013 to present
CUFOT Executive Vice President 2000-2006
CUFOT BOARD since 2000 to present.
President, Filipino Women Club of Tidewater, Inc. ( FWCT) 2007-2008
FWCT BOARD 2009 to present
Vice President Samahang Tagalog 2012 to present
Chairman, United Ilocano Association of Tidewater Inc. (UIAT) BOARD 2013 to present
Clerk to UIAT BOARD 2008 to 2013